Thursday, July 26, 2007

Class Reunions. Fun? Or forget-about-'em?

This past weekeend we attended B's 30th high school class reunion. The invite came late (giving us only a seven-week notice) and we already had plans for the weekend, but we cancelled them. They didn't have a 25th, which we found out this past weekend why; apparently someone dropped the ball. So, we figured since another reunion may not happen for 10 more years, we should probably attend.

I'll admit that I was a teeny bit nervous this time. Being that I am #2 wife, this would only be the second reunion that I attended. I was present at the 20th and I do recall having a good time. But, boy, did I have to have my memory refreshed. I'm not quite sure why so many events escaped me, but I could barely recall that I golfed on that Saturday afternoon. I do remember the dress I wore that evening, but I can't believe that I don't remember the fact that a classmate fell onto a cake!

This year's event was set up about the same way, just a little more casual. A mixer of sorts at someone's home on Friday night, a golf outing on Saturday morning and afternoon, and then a dinner with music on Saturday night.

I thought about not attending the mixer figuring it may be a lot of solo classmates. I passed on the golf, well, because I haven't golfed in years. I did go on Friday night and it was fine. It was mostly classmates or classmates with spouses who also attended this high school, just graduated in different years, but again, I really enjoyed myself. I was able to get to know some people that would be there the following night and got to meet some others who wouldn't be there at all.

That evening, one friend of B's, the only one that I really knew, let us know that he wasn't going to be golfing either, but he had thought about coming along and riding along in the beer cart. I told him that I wasn't golfing either, but I wouldn't mind riding around in the cart all day, and HEY, I could be the photographer! Well, everyone thought that was a grand idea. We didn't get home until 2 a.m. that evening and the next morning I didn't think that M would show up to the golfing, so I didn't get ready, but just dropped B off at the course. Lo and behold there was M walking up to the clubhouse! I think he felt bad that I didn't think he'd come! He said he'd wait for me to go home and get ready, which I did, and once I got back, we tooled around all afternoon on the golf cart and I took pictures. It was LOADS of fun!

After the golfing was over, B and I went home to change and then headed back to the clubhouse for dinner and music. We checked in with the girls who were staying with B's parents; as we all were. They were having a ball! So off we went. The food was good and so was the conversation, and of course a few beers! They had a DJ and also Karaoke, which I don't do, but someone ended up there for a couple songs. Thankfully, the microphone wasn't working too well! The night ended with hugs goodbye and keep in touches.

The other reason that I was nervous about the reunion is that I had my 20th reunion two years ago and while I had a great time, B, not so much. Oh, it was all right at first, but then I ended being out too late and he was hanging out with another spouse and I really don't want to get into it all. Needless to say, we had a fight that night, and I felt really bad. The thing is, he and I are different, and even though I didn't know anyone at his reunion, I made the effort to talk to people about all sorts of things. Not that B doesn't do that, but not to the extent that I do. I guess I just feel that if you're going to attend the reunion where you don't know anyone, you have to accept the fact that you may be on your own a lot of the time (which I'm okay with and I guess maybe B, isn't?) or you just suck it up and put yourself out there.

So, what do you think? Should spouses come to the reunions where they don't know anyone? Do you feel like you need to stick by their side or is it okay to go off and talk to people? I know it's difficult to be in a situation where you don't know anyone and if I had to do my reunion over again, I would be a bit more considerate. I definately could do better.

I'm just glad that B didn't ditch me too much! ;)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Found your blog via Angi, just have to say hi from a fellow Minnesotan!

I've only been to one reunion, sort of. It was the weekend I was due with my first child so we only attended a picnic the morning of the day I was due for fear that I would go into labor at the reunion. Yeah. Didn't happen. She was induced a week later.

My husband hasn't attended any reunions so far...even though we live 8 miles from his former high school. He says it doesn't interest him...his choice I guess.

I think I'd err on the side of sticking with my spouse though. But I'm the shy, quiet one in the couple.

Related Posts with Thumbnails