Friday, March 14, 2008

The Ultimate Blog Party 2008!

Okay...I'm jumping in. I'm joining. I'm finished with my procrastinating.

I hang out over at 5 Minutes for Mom and there is a whole lot of par-tay-ing going on! I thought, what the heck, may as well join in on the fun.



So, let me introduce myself. My name is Kim and I'm the mom. I'm also a wife, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, volunteer, Sunday school teacher, and know-it-all (LOL- thought I'd throw that in for DH)! But I mostly identify with mom, because for much of my life I wondered if I'd ever get to call myself that.

A little about myself: I have identical twins who are five. They've been through a lot, being born at 24 weeks and spending 114 days in the NICU, but things have been really good for quite some time. I'm truly grateful. I also have a husband of nearly nine years (together for 14) and an almost 21 year old stepson. I've been through different things in my life: love, loss, divorce, infertility, micropreemies, but I really do cherish every experience. It's made me who I am today and I like me.

I love to read. Always have. I began reading at barely four years old and have never stopped. It just opened a new world for me. I read every chance I got as a child, as soon as I woke up in the morning, on the bus to and from school, until it was time for supper, by the light outside my bedroom window when I was supposed to be sleeping. I remember in 1st grade reading the Encyclopedias when I'd finish my work. I remember in 2nd grade how ecstatic I was when I could check out three library books instead of two! By 2nd grade I was reading at a 7th grade reading level. I read all kinds of genres: mystery, historical fiction, Biblical fiction, non-fiction. I do tend to stay away from most mushy romances these days though (I think I got burnt out on Danielle Steel).

I love to travel and did get the chance in my late twenties to do something I didn't think I'd ever get to do. I had always wanted to be an exchange student when I was in high school. I have always been fascinated by the world and other cultures and I wanted to experience more. Needless to say, I got married to my childhood sweetheart right out of high school. Our marriage did not stand the test of time and after 6.5 years, we divorced. I realized that I was still young and could do anything I wanted to do. So, I enrolled in a Study Abroad program, quit my job of 6.5 years, sold my car, put my stuff in storage and got on a plane for Sevilla, Spain, knowing no one. It was a life changing experience for me. I was 27 years old and I was there for entirely different reasons than the 19, 20, and 21 year old college students. I had two roommates and a wonderful host family. My Spanish mother, Lolita, was only four years older than me. We had some great conversations and I thought it was so special how we could really relate to one another. We were more like friends than mother/daughter. After my program ended, I spent another month traveling Europe with one of my roommates. Oh, the stories to tell...another time, perhaps.

I'm generally quite quiet and reserved until I get to know you, then I talk your ear off. I don't talk much in big groups because I hate trying to butt in when others are talking, thus the reason I prefer smaller groups. That all being said, I'm also quite adventurous, having made several other trips on my own where I know no one. I love making new friends and experiencing new things.

About my blog: Much is about my girls and what's going on with them, but basically, it's pretty much a bunch of random thoughts from yours truly.

So, now you know a bit about me...let me know a little about you! Is anyone reading? Leave a comment and let me know you stopped by! Oh, and come on! Join the Par-Tay! You only have a couple days left!

6 comments:

kalea_kane said...

Greetings from Arizona, Kim! Your daughters are so sweet! I think it is absolutely amazing that you went to Spain! What a life-changing experience. Of course, motherhood is probably the biggest life-changing experience out there. I look forward to reading more of your blogs! Have a great weekend!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Nice meeting you! I'm happy that you joined the party.

I'm off to bookmark you page, so I'll be back.

BTW - I'm giving away a book on my blog right now. By Christian author Cheryl Wyatt. It's wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's nice to *meet* you. I'm also a mom of twins. Mine are 9 years old now and a handful! I also have 2 other children.

Check out my blog, I'm giving away a family game pack I'm sure your girlies would enjoy!

Gerbil said...

Happy partying! Your daughters are precious... my youngest son is a NICU grad himself. I, too, love reading, to my husband's dismay when it came time to move house and we had to move alllll those boxes of books. ;)

Tanya Breese said...

Good morning Kim :) You are so brave to have done that study abroad program. That's awesome!

Michie said...

Thanks for the invite to your party! I'm also an avid reader, and read every chance I got as a kid. I was the dork who spent my summer vacation at the library! :) I also do better with small groups than large crowds. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails